The Animation Show of Shows
Midnight weekend screenings happen on Friday & Saturday nights (meaning arrive on Friday and/or Saturday night by 11:45pm for seating, the movie starts after midnight)!
Run Time: 84 min.
The ANIMATION SHOW OF SHOWS, a curated selection of the “best of the best” animated short films created by students and professionals around the world, returns to theaters across North America. Featuring 10 films from seven countries, the 2019 edition of the program offers an array of highly imaginative, thought-provoking and moving works that reflect the filmmakers’ unique perspectives and their relationships to the world. For 21 years, the ANIMATION SHOW OF SHOWS has been presenting a highly selective program of new and innovative short films to appreciative audiences at animation studios, schools and, since 2015, theaters around the world. During its first 20 years, 40 of the films showcased in the ANIMATION SHOW OF SHOWS went on to receive Academy Award® nominations, with 11 films winning the Oscar®.
“Animation is an incredibly versatile medium that allows artists to explore situations and ideas that you won’t see anywhere else,” says ANIMATION SHOW OF SHOWS founder and curator Ron Diamond. “From political and philosophical concerns, to the complexities of individual identity and personal relationships, animated short films are uniquely able to capture the many facets of human experience.”
The 21ST ANNUAL ANIMATION SHOW OF SHOWS includes 10 films, three of which have qualified for 2020 Academy Award® consideration*. The complete lineup:
– KIDS – Michael Frei, Mario von Rickenbach, Switzerland
– RUBICON – Gil Alkabetz, Germany
– PORTRAIT OF GIL ALKABETZ (RUBICON) – Marta Trela, Germany
– FIVE MINUTES TO SEA* – Natalia Mirzoyan, Russia
– RÉCIT DE SOI [SELF-NARRATIVE] – Géraldine Charpentier, Belgium
– LE JOUR EXTRAORDINAIRE [FLOWING THROUGH WONDER]* – Joanna Lurie, France
– HOUNDS – Amit Cohen, Ido Shapira, Israel
– PORTRAIT OF AMIT COHEN AND IDO SHAPIRA (HOUNDS) – Shlomi Yosef, Israel
– THE FOX AND THE BIRD [LE RENARD ET L’OISILLE] – Sam & Fred Guillaume, Switzerland
– DAUGHTER*- Daria Kashcheeva, Czech Republic